Friday, October 31, 2008

 

McCain Concedes Before Votes Are Counted

WASHINGTON, October 31 - In a stunning announcement, presidential candidate John McCain conceded the election to Barack Obama four days prior to election day. McCain thanked everyone who voted for him in early balloting and encouraged Republicans who will go to the polls on November 4th to cast their vote for the Democratic candidate.

"I looked at myself in the mirror and realized that I had been kidding myself, my party, and the nation," McCain admitted. "Obama is definitely the better man for the job and I wish him the best as president of the United States in these troubled times."

McCain issued an apology to the Democratic candidate saying he regretted questioning Obama's loyalty, patriotism, and experience. "He is one of the most dedicated Americans I have ever met and I am confident he will choose and listen to some of the brightest advisers this country has to offer."

Reaction from the Republican Party was swift. There were calls for Sarah Palin to replace McCain at the top of the ticket and pressure for McCain to reconsider. Palin said she was ready to assume the presidency if McCain wins the election despite his withdrawal. "Offshore and wilderness area drilling will begin the day I'm sworn into office," she pledged.

McCain said he regretted changing his positions on abortion, taxing the richest Americans, and immigration. "I did it for political expediency. I wanted the nomination so badly I was willing to sell my soul to the right wing of my party."

He also expressed regret for saying that America could win the Iraq war. "Not only was the war a mistake to begin with, but it's also a mistake for us to stay," he said. "Let's get the hell out of there and start spending the billions of wasted war dollars on a single payer health care system, sex education in the public schools, and government jobs for all the unemployed."

When asked about his choice of Sarah Palin McCain replied that it was a "foolhardy decision" in an attempt to energize the Christian right. "Palin would make a dangerous vice-president," he warned. "I wouldn't trust her within 100 yards of the White House."

McCain admitted he also didn't trust Senator Joe Lieberman, his alleged preferred choice for the second spot. He described Lieberman as a "snake, slippery and potentially poisonous." The few lone Republicans with any integrity had refused to be considered as his running mate, he said.

"The history books with show that I was a true maverick for whom my country came first," McCain declared. "God bless America. God bless Barack Obama. And God bless the liberal press for questioning my flaws and endorsing my opponent's candidacy."

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?